WWF-Canada Blog:
Oceans

Oolichan… more than just a fish

Thaleichthys pacificus or the Oolichan, as we call it, is a small anadromous ocean fish, meaning it leaves its ocean habitat to travel upriver to breed. It’s a smelt found along the Pacific Coast of North America from northern California to Alaska – its population in decline across much of this region.  Also known as candlefish, Oolichan is so rich in oil it can be burnt like a candle when dried. A species that needs both a healthy ocean and river habitat for its life cycle, eulachon can help us appreciate the interconnectedness of our ocean and freshwater systems.

But the Oolichan is more than that to me.

© Charles Moore

Way back when, the basic necessities required for this annual harvesting, were hard to come by in a small village. Living remotely and only having access by air or water was an incredible disadvantage in all aspects.  So when it came down to it, traveling in itself took up much of the preparation for the year’s harvest.  It was days and nights of a long commute, if the river allowed for it, the Oolichan fishers would have to boat upstream as far as possible to meet the ice then walk, pulling a sled all the way to Fishery Bay on the frozen Nass River.  In the later years, the skidoo made the journey easier. My mother and the rest of us would do our part in packing boxes of groceries and necessities for the trip – it was a huge deal.  When it came down to preserving our Oolichan and rendering it to get grease, we all had our role to play.  After my father’s passing in ’84, that all changed for me and my family.  We continued to preserve the Oolichan that was given to us by others but it was not the same.  A huge part of what brought it altogether for us was gone and so, like most, what we don’t receive, we buy. Today I still do love our prized grease, and our Oolichans harvested for the year, whether sun-dried, smoked, or fresh frozen.

With each passing year at Oolichan time, fond memories of hard work and happy, busy times come flooding back.  I never forget it.  For me and my family; gone are the days of our own Grease Trail, where bartering was the means to trade for goods and foods that we did not otherwise have access to.   It was a time of gratitude to the Creator in making a way for us, blessing us with a great provider (my late father) who enabled us to provide for ourselves and for others.

We now have a road into the village which is also en route to Fishery Bay, this makes the annual trek so much easier.  Today when we get our prized Oolichans for the year, it is with utmost respect in knowing just how much work was entailed in its harvest.  I am ever-so thankful that this little fish can still provide so much and that today, it is still very much a part of our Nation.  I cannot imagine a time without it, it’s embedded deeply within us, and it is who we are as a people within the Nass Valley.  It is our mainstay, our livelihood.

This month, Oolichan was recommended for listing in the Species at Risk Registry by the Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada (COSEWIC).  Those of us who have been following the plight of this important fish know that while the returns to the Skeena and Nass have been fairly good the past couple years, the situation to the south is grim. Many rivers have reported few or no returning spawners.  Last year at this time, the U.S. Endangered Species Act also listed the species as threatened.

While the reasons for the decline in numbers remain a mystery, the assessment is an important first step in recognizing the need to ensure the population is abundant and healthy.  For me, the health of Oolichan is really about the health of my culture, community and Nation, for generations to come.

• For latest information you have to pay a quick visit web and on the web I found this web page as a most excellent
    web page for newest updates.

• domino 420 says:

Everryone seems to be aware that, to be the ultimate athlete, you
    must possess basic bodily fitness qualities corresponding too energy, velocity and stamina.

• In the lwst few years it seems like each company and their dad or mum company has tried making a fitness
    tracker.

• You possibly cann check your coronary heart charge at any
    given time by pressing yourr finger behind the gadget.

• Apⲣreciwte thіs post. Let me try it out. http://rindualamhotel.com

• This is my first time pay a quick visit at here and i am truly impressed to
    read everthing at single place.

• Beulah says:

Hi there very nice website!! Man .. Excellent ..
    Wonderful .. I’ll bookmark your website and take the feeds additionally?
    I am happy to seek out a lot of helpful info here in the put up, we’d
    like develop extra strategies in this regard, thanks for sharing.
    . . . . .

• Every weekend i used to pay a quick visit this web site,
    for the reason that i want enjoyment, for the reason that this this web site conations actually good funny material too.

• Marty says:

My wife and I returned home here to the coast in August of 2011 to care for her aging mother, after a 25 year working hiatus in Alberta. Personally, I was excited by the prospect, but the reality has been heartbreaking – so many places here on the lower mainland that I fished, hunted, and played as a boy are for all intents and purposes gone, lost to time, rendered barren and non-viable for one reason, and one reason alone: There are simply too many people living in too high a concentration in this place, and the carrying capacity of the surrounding land and waters has been far, far exceeded. The natural ecology of much of this mainland coastline has been broken under the weight of humanity, and I fear that nothing we can do – other than leave by the hundreds of thousands or re-invent our infrastructure quickly and dramatically – will undo the damage. It breaks my heart to say it, but people are the problem here – and not just here, but the world over – and so long as we continue try to “manage” everything about ourselves and our world except for our numbers, our ultimate fate will remain uncomfortably obvious, and inevitable.

This spring, I was looking forward to having Oolichan grease again, something I’ve not enjoyed in more that 30 years. Instead, I will try to find contentment in the memory of it.

• I really believe this specific post , “Oolichan… more
    than just a fish | At WWF-Canada, we’re passionate about climate, water and people. l WWF-Canada Blog”, extremely interesting and the post was in fact a fantastic read. Thanks for the post-Lionel

• Hi there just wanted to give you a quick heads up and let you know a few of the images aren’t loading correctly. I’m
    not sure why but I think its a linking issue. I’ve tried it in two different browsers and both show the same results.

• Melany Vanez says:

Wow! Thank you! I constantly needed to write on my website something like that. Can I take a fragment of your post to my website?

• Eugene says:

Very nice story Lisa. I too know that the salmon that run up the Skeena river are an integral aspect of who we are as Gitksan People.

Thank you for that insight.

• John Latimer says:

Very touching and awesome story Lisa. You speak from your heart, showing the importance of the Oolichan; how important it is to the Nisga’a people and how much this one fish can do, with an abundance.

Thanks for sharing…

• Ruth says:

People don’t need to eat Animal flesh, they can live on a Vegetarian Diet!!

I have been a Vegetarian for more then 15 years and I don’t have any health issues!

And I have been a Vegan for more then 5 years!!